On 01 May 2012, at 2:47 pm, Quincey Morris wrote:

> Double-check that "Validates immediately" is checked for the binding.

Thanks for the reply Quincey.

I confess to have mis-described my situation somewhat: while most columns were
bound, several instead used the classical NSTableViewDataSource style,
including the one for which I'm having the validation trouble.  Sure enough,
when I connect a binding for that column, the formatter-imposed validation now
works -- regardless of whether "validates immediately" is in force or not,
contrary to your suggestion.  (I was certain that I had tested that already,
but apparently I didn't.)

However, the reasons I'm serving data for this column programatically are

a) to offset the displayed value according to a document-level property (when
the data set is in a "read-only" mode), and

b) to be able to calculate and apply a related change to other columns when the
current value is modified.

Before I started using NSArrayController or bindings, validation used to work.
There must be something else I have overlooked here.  Why is validation failing
for the non-binding (NSTableViewDataSource-backed) columns?

Additionally: for a bound column, my understanding is that validate<Key>:error:
should be called against the object to check validity (at least in the absence
of an attached formatter).  However, it doesn't.  Is there a prerequisite I am
failing to satisfy?

thanks,

-ben

--