On 01 May 2012, at 5:25 pm, Quincey Morris wrote:

> I'm not aware that KVC-style validation ever happens automatically *except*
> for bindings that have have "Validates immediately" checked.

Thanks for clarifying that -- I believe you're right.

> AFAIK, the validation performed by a number formatter is limited to its own
> internal understanding (modified by the properties you set) of what a valid
> number looks like. I don't see how it could know what validate<Key>: method
> to call.

What I meant was that since the formatter's statement of invalidity seemed to
be ignored by the table view, I was then expecting the NSTableView machinery to
at least call validate<Key>: on its data source -- and indeed it does, if both
a binding is configured and "validates immediately" is checked.

(Of course in retrospect this only makes sense for bindings, since in a
NSTableViewDataSource setup there is no knowledge of the data model except
within the data source's tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:... and
tableView:setObjectValue:... methods.)

The issue I'm still having is that non-bound columns (i.e., those controlled by
the latter two NSTableViewDataSource methods) are not enforcing validity when
the attached formatter returns NO from
getObjectValue:forString:errorDescription:.

cheers,

Ben Kennedy, chief magician
Zygoat Creative Technical Services
http://www.zygoat.ca