On 01 May 2012, at 7:42 pm, Quincey Morris wrote:

> 3. That protocol has a method 'control:isValidObject:'.
>
>> "This method gives the delegate the opportunity to validate the contents of
>> the control’s cell (or selected cell).
>
> That seems like what you want, if you query the formatter directly from this
> delegate method.

I hadn't noticed that one before.  However, for some reason, it does not get
called on my delegate.

> Whether NSTableView has an automated mechanism for querying the formatter
> itself, I don't know, and I can't find any documentation that suggests it
> might.

Well, the NSControlTextEditingDelegate protocol also provides
'control:didFailToFormatString:errorDescription:', which seems to be to the
point of what I want:

> Invoked when the formatter for the cell belonging to the specified control
> cannot convert a string to an underlying object.
>
> Return Value: YES if the value in the string parameter should be accepted as
> is; otherwise, NO if the value in the parameter should be rejected.

And unlike control:isValidObject:, it does get called on my delegate.
Unfortunately, my return value of NO seems to be ignored.

The thing about all this is that a few revs back, when I was using a dumb array
with NSTableViewDataSource and no bindings, I was getting the validation
behaviour for free.  Now it's gone.  I guess I should re-trace my steps and try
to figure out what subtle critical difference I've introduced.

cheers,

Ben Kennedy, chief magician
Zygoat Creative Technical Services
http://www.zygoat.ca