Was just wondering if there are any techniques to speed up the launching of iOS
apps.

Back in the Director day, I would create a shell executable that would launch
rather quickly and present a splash screen, then an animation that indicated to
the user that the test of the application was loading. After that, the shell
read a config file, loaded the rest of the app and started up.

This approach got feedback to the user as quick as possible and provided the
impression of a quick launching responsive app, right from the get go.

in the case that our apps start launching sluggishly (I've seen this during
development sometimes) are there any approaches to take along this vein?

Thanks in advance,
- Alex Zavatone