In my experience, this is usually localized to whatever you are doing in
applicationDidFinishLaunching and the complexity of the main nib that is being
loaded (and it's associated data, like graphics). Usually, getting your main
nib down to just what you need and loading the rest later goes a long way
towards speeding up your app.

As a benchmark, you can make a new iOS project in Xcode, run it on the device,
and compare it's launch time to your app.

Dave