On May 26, 2012, at 4:41 AM, Peter wrote:

> thank you very much for your enlightening and in-depth explanation!

You're welcome.

> With the old API I could (and still do) put a list of path strings with empty
> elements on the pasteboard, e.g. four paths, the third one empty as in
>
> /path1/item1
> /path2/item1
>
> /path2/item2
>
> but since the new API moved to NSURLs I don't see a way to accomplish this. I
> could not find something like an empty NSURL. I use this for copying data
> from a table area to another table or table area, meaning the empty element
> is a valid piece of data. Any ideas?

I'm not certain.  You can try putting an NSPasteboardItem to which you haven't
added any data in the list of items.  You can try adding some other type of
data, perhaps a custom type which indicates to your app that there's no data.
You can put a different kind of NSURL, rather than a file URL, perhaps with a
custom scheme meaningful only to your app.  Etc.

The main thing is to think of the pasteboard contents as multiple items, each
with its own types/representations, which can be (but doesn't have to be)
different from all of the other items.

Regards,
Ken