On 8/2/12 12:29 PM, Charles Srstka wrote:
On Aug 2, 2012, at 1:57 PM, koko <k...@highrolls.net> wrote:

Thanks.

I asked the question because I saw here one time that "you don't want to be the app
causing 32-bit versions" to load.

As long as it is not a system resource problem, then all is well as far as I am
concerned.

However, I will be surprised if there is not some list castigation for being
the 32-bit app on 10.8 … LOL

-koko

> The thing I'd be concerned about is Apple removing the 32-bit system libraries in some future version of OS X and dropping support for 32-bit apps.
> This could happen as soon as 10.9 — we all know how Apple is.
For that reason, I'd probably recommend moving toward 64-bit now, for the sake
of future compatibility.

This is the Cocoa list, but I don't feel safe assuming you mean only Cocoa 32-bit libraries might be dropped, that you don't also mean Carbon would be dropped.

I'd seriously wish for some statement from Apple ASAP if that were a possibility that 32-bit support would be fully eliminated in 10.9.

I guess I "know how Apple is" and I've been duly warned. Nonetheless we have been desperately betting on continuation of 32-bit since the alternative (perhaps dropping the Mac platform) is a pretty unhappy one. We have a rather large codebase that is rather far from 64-bit at the moment.

It will be a hard choice regardless, but the farther in advance we know something definite, the better our chances, so I hope Apple will give us the courtesy of as much specific advance notice as possible. (Some deprecated things are after all still working after maybe a decade.)

-Kurt