On 12/08/2012, at 12:08 PM, Jayson Adams <jay...@circusponies.com> wrote:

> As Greg Parker's comments are tangential to the issue I am raising, my point
> is proven again.

No they aren't.

The fact is, that if the documentation was always up to date, always perfect,
and complete then mailing lists and forums would not be needed. The very fact
this exists is an acknowledgement that there needs to be additional
communication channels which can be used to allow for the fact that
documentation may lag, become out of date, contain errors or need clarifying.

Therefore if someone from Apple makes a statement here, that can be taken as
being reasonably official, and supersedes what has been published.

So far from being tangential, Greg's comments are right on the money: ignore
the documentation, and do as we say. If a developer is not engaging with the
forums and mailing lists, then they are not really doing enough to keep
themselves informed about the current state of play. Assuming that
documentation is always right and up to date is a sure path to having a nasty
surprise down the road.

Unfortunately the situation with the mailing list isn't very consistent - only
certain Apple engineers seem to bother with it, and while what they say can be
treated as official, it doesn't work both ways - complaining about something
here is unlikely to result in any action. That's why you have to file bugs -
the mailing list is an output, not an input (to Apple, that is).

--Graham