On 25/08/2012, at 8:14 PM, Mike Abdullah <cocoa...@mikeabdullah.net> wrote:

> I had a funny feeling you were going to point the finger at us ;-)
> Checked out the code, and I can assure you, iMedia is doing this:
>
> NSURL* url = [NSURL URLWithString:library];
> NSString* path = [url path];
>
> Where library is a string retrieved from the prefs to note where a media
> library lives. I continue to be pretty sure no path-based APIs accept URL
> strings.

Well.....

This code was based on a very old version of the iMedia code, probably from
2008 or 9. It was certainly heavily modified when I adapted it to my own
structures, but this part I kept intact. In fact, it still retains remnants of
a workaround for some other Cocoa bug along with the comments pertaining to it,
which is why I know I never altered it. Perhaps the behaviour just happened to
work... or perhaps back then Apple were not storing a URL in the prefs but a
path?

It's very probable that it got changed later - I haven't checked to see what
the current version does. Presumably, it was updated to use NSURL at some
point, but the version I used was path-based.

I hadn't realised that you were associated with Karelia. I wasn't pointing the
finger, just trying to understand what the issue was. I accept that in porting
the code Karelia no longer have any responsibility for it. What have been your
experiences with sandboxing the iMedia browser?

--Graham