On 30 Aug, 2012, at 6:34 AM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:

> But before anyone reads too far, I am making certain assumptions that may
> indeed be false.  That iOS and Mac OS app Sandboxing is absolutely required
> and you can't make apps without it enabled, whether the apps are destined for
> the App store or not.

For iOS it's true, always has been. For OSX it's not. If the app is for the
store you must sandbox it, but you can distribute apps outside the store with
no sandboxing at all and you have the intermediate step of signing with a
developer id which doesn't require sandboxing but lets the user know apple
knows who wrote the app. Use of iCloud on OSX requires the sandbox.