Well, yes, maybe.  If the Mac is booted from an SSD, and the system performance
starts to lag or memory starts to get full, I'll gladly purge the cache since
paging out to SSD again isn't as much of a time consuming task.

If I were able to target Safari and its processes (WebProcess), then I'd do
that.

Actually, I don't think that what I'm seeing are Safari/Webkit leaks - unless
you know otherwise.

I think the people who are creating pages that are loaded in Safari are the
villains and are not freeing up allocated variables, but I have gotten
particular pages in Safari where certain operations are blocking the thread and
as soon as that page is closed, my whole system becomes snappier.

In my cursory understanding of what's going on beneath the hood, that shouldn't
happen at all but it does.  I've never seen FireFox, Camino or Chrome crater
the performance of my Mac like Safari does but, I agree, this is outside of the
original discussion.

Ideally when this happens, I'd love to save my list of pages I'm interested in
and either restart Safari with only those URLs, or fire up another browser and
load that list of URLs in a queue.