On Jul 26, 2013, at 1:36 PM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> I've never worked with sandboxing, but I would guess that a sandboxed app
> can't access arbitrary files in ~/Library/Preferences, but instead has to go
> through NSUserDefaults.

Don't know about iOS, but at least on OS X you can do this, depending on the
definition of arbitrary. In other words, you can set up entitlements to
specific files in preferences that are not named by your bundle identifier, as
would be necessary for shared preferences between a suite of apps. But of
course you can't give yourself an entitlement to ~/Library/Preferences and then
wander through the whole directory.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com