On Jul 26, 2013, at 9:35 PM, Public <mailbox20040...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Scott and Jens for sharing your thoughts.
>
> I didn't set up entitlements (yet), but when launched from within Xcode, my
> (non-sandboxed Cocoa) app was able to read and clear
> ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.QuarantineEventsV2  created by
> system. However, when launched from Finder, the app launches and doesn't do
> anything — I'm checking the console log file (my thanks to Todd Haberlein for
> the tip) and also developing an alternative approach using sqlite and 3rd
> party wrappers (my thanks to Jerry Krinock, Robert Martin, and Jens Alfke for
> suggesting).
>
> This experience has definitely piqued my curiosity about the difference in
> "access rights" of an app launched from within Xcode. I would expect
> difference in app behavior for an iOS app launched on device versus
> simulator, but am baffled by the difference in behavior of launching the same
> OS X app in Xcode versus from the Finder.
>
> Thanks to everyone from sharing, I'm still exploring and welcome any other
> suggestion.

Good grief, I didn't notice that you said "non-sandboxed". The biggest
difference between being launched under Xcode and launched from the Finer, in
terms of questions to this list from confused devs, is the default working
directory. Check your paths. Check the path of the prefs file you want to
access, check the file of the helper utility you're launching via NSTask, check
every path you're using to make sure that you're ultimately using full paths
and that they're correct. (I'd just use NSLog, and look at the console output
after a run where it "doesn't do anything"--if you see either the wrong full
path or a relative path, there's your problem.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com