According to this knowledge base article, if a paragraph has "natural"
writing direction, then the writing direction of the paragraph should
change depending on the first character of the paragraph:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11211?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>

The article gives an example where an English character begins a
paragraph that consists primarily of Arabic text.

I tried a similar experiment in TextEdit, and I'm not sure how to
interpret the results. (I can't read any languages with RTL scripts, so
I'm flying a bit blind here):

1. Locale is set to English - United States
2. English is the first item in the list of preferred languages in
System Preferences
3. Enabled input methods are U.S. and Hebrew - QWERTY, with U.S.
currently active
4. Open a new TextEdit document
5. Note that the current writing direction for both Paragraph and
Selection are "natural"
6. Switch to the Hebrew - QWERTY input method
7. Type some gibberish

The ruler has flipped to right-aligned, but the text, while running RTL,
is laid out flush-left. Why? How is this useful?

8. Select the paragraph and change the paragraph's writing direction to
RTL.

Now the text is aligned flush-right. Why does an explicit RTL paragraph
style behave differently than a "natural" paragraph whose first
character is strongly RTL?

--Kyle