Dynamically at runtime, I'd like to put a fixed banner across the top of a
UITableViewController scene with some status information. I want this banner to
remain fixed at the top, and for the UITableView to live in a frame below it.

IB doesn't let you construct this. I wrote this as a bug/enhancement request,
and it came back that I should embed a sub view controller in it. But this is
incredibly cumbersome, as it forces me to create another view controller to
contain it.

In the past, at run time (during view instantiation), I've inserted a container
view as a parent of my UITableView, and pulled some shenanigans to trick the
UITableViewController parent class to refer to the table view while my
controller subclass's view property points to the top-level view. This has
worked, but I don't like doing end-runs around iOS like that.

I could possibly do something with autolayout constraints and and offsets to
put my banner view inside my table view, but that seems inelegant, too.

What do you guys suggest?

--
Rick