On Jan 14, 2014, at 1:19 AM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

> As Jens comments the security APIs are ridiculously opaque.
> Perhaps this is seen as a necessity in the serious world of crypto - perhaps
> it is just hard to avoid. However, it is a liability.

Crypto is inevitably sort of complex, but Apple’s to blame for some bad (and
downward-trending) API design and poor documentation. Other crypto APIs that
I’ve seen are much clearer.

> By comparison libcrypto is pretty straightforward.
> The only problem with retaining it is the extra complexity involved in
> integrating the static library build into the project and upgrading the
> source.

My reservation about using libcrypto would be key storage. The Keychain is a
pretty great thing — a secure place to store keys that’s well-integrated into
the OS. I don’t know how OpenSSL stores keys, but if it’s using some other
mechanism, it’s probably less secure.

This thread should probably move to apple-cdsa (which is the fittingly-obscure
name for the security/crypto mailing list.)

—Jens