On Jan 14, 2014, at 9:37 AM, Jean-Daniel Dupas <devli...@shadowlab.org> wrote:

> Just in case it was not mentioned in the thread, SecTransform supports RSA.
> You can use SecEncryptTransformCreate() with an asymmetric key.

Great! But there was a previous assertion in this thread (by whom?) that the
Apple docs say SecTransform doesn't support public-key crypto. I quickly looked
through some docs but didn’t see a statement one way or another.

This actually illustrates one of my major complaints about the current Apple
security APIs and docs — they’re modular and operate on many combinations of
small pieces (e.g. the different transform functions used with different key
types, or the handful of keychain functions used with a combinatorial explosion
of different parameter constants), but the docs provide almost no guidance on
which of the many, many possible combinations of pieces work and which don’t.

> Anyway, the full list of what can be done is demonstrated in the
> CryptoCompatibility sample code:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/samplecode/CryptoCompatibility/Introduction/Intro.html
> For each possible action, it provides a way to perform it using CDSA,
> SecTransform, and iOS specific code.

That sounds great, actually, but documentation of what can be done and what
can’t really belongs in the core API docs, not in a piece of sample code that
someone may never discover (I haven’t ever seen this one before myself.)

—Jens