In a post today in the Developer Forums [1], developer Romain Piveteau
mentioned in discussing another topic that, in a Core Data app,  he “can not
disable journaling mode” (by which I presume he means that setting the
journaling mode to the legacy “rollback” mode [2] is ineffective) when the user
duplicates the document.

Since I've occasionally seen -shm and -wal files in testing my Core Data app
recently, I tested his assertion and have apparently verified it.  My app has
opted to use the legacy “rollback” mode, and it does not ordinarily produce
-shm nor -wal files.  However, when I click in the menu: File > Duplicate, I
get not one but three new files, including -shm and -wal files.  They disappear
when the document is closed and reopened, but the -shm file immediately
reappears.

Seems like a bug.  Has anyone else looked into this yet?

Thank,

Jerry

1.  https://devforums.apple.com/message/935226#935226
2.  For Core Data apps linked with the Mac OS X 10.9, iOS 7 or later SDK, by
default, SQLite stores use SQLite’s newer “write ahead log” journal mode
instead of the old “rollback” journal mode.  This is problematic for older Mac
apps whose users expect that an unpackaged document (SQLite) file is moveable
and copiable.  More info, including how to opt out to the old “rollback” mode,
is given here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/releasenotes/DataManagement/WhatsNew_CoreData_iOS/