On Feb 8, 2014, at 5:37 AM, David Delmonte <ddelmo...@mac.com> wrote:

> I realized I could do this: 1. use just an NSTextField, and 2. if (hiding)
> textField.stringValue = @"******";
> Is there something I'm missing?

Please don't do this. NSSecureTextFieldCell uses a custom field editor that
protects the password from being snarled via Accessibility or event taps.

Also, computer screens are much more likely to be visible to other people than
phone screens, and people in general are more confident typists on physical
keyboards than on virtual ones. Showing characters as they type is doing a
disservice. (In fact, now that AirPlay Mirroring is so prevalent, I've been
meaning to file a Radar asking Apple to remove the “show last character typed”
feature from UIKit.)

--Kyle Sluder