Good advice. Thanks Jens. Do you know of any samples that employ good behavior?

Right now, I'm playing with SMJobBless.

Finally, does anyone know if the Mac App Store would accept an app with
elevated permissions (admin permissions to enter a password)? (or am I
confusing things?)

On Feb 8, 2014, at 7:26 PM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

On Feb 8, 2014, at 2:51 PM, David Delmonte <ddelmo...@mac.com> wrote:

> Yep, I'm implementing "EvenBetterAuthorizationSample" code now. Does make me
> sad to have to do this. I help older people use technology. They are always
> forgetting their passwords. Just trying to help..

The best way to do this would be to write a friendlier app similar to Keychain
Access. I use that app all the time to look up passwords, but it takes a number
of steps to do so and it's not terribly intuitive.

Browsers are pretty good about adding passwords to the Keychain. At least
Safari and Chrome are; I think Firefox might have its own password store (boo).
They're not always as good about filling in passwords for you again afterwards,
although Safari 7 has gotten better. So it's sometimes necessary to look them
up from the Keychain.

Writing an app that will store passwords in some other way is a bad idea. It's
pretty much guaranteed to be less secure than the Keychain, which has some
kernel-level support for helping keep its storage secure. The Keychain also has
other advantages like syncing to iCloud and to iOS devices, in a fairly secure
way.

(Sorry if I sound heavy-handed; nothing personal. I've been coding with a
security-conscious mindset for quite a while now, and it sticks with you.
Security is becoming increasingly important, and all developers whose code ever
touches things like passwords should be following good practices.)

—Jens