On Feb 8, 2014, at 2:51 PM, David Delmonte <ddelmo...@mac.com> wrote:

> Yep, I'm implementing "EvenBetterAuthorizationSample" code now. Does make me
> sad to have to do this. I help older people use technology. They are always
> forgetting their passwords. Just trying to help..

The best way to do this would be to write a friendlier app similar to Keychain
Access. I use that app all the time to look up passwords, but it takes a number
of steps to do so and it's not terribly intuitive.

Browsers are pretty good about adding passwords to the Keychain. At least
Safari and Chrome are; I think Firefox might have its own password store (boo).
They're not always as good about filling in passwords for you again afterwards,
although Safari 7 has gotten better. So it's sometimes necessary to look them
up from the Keychain.

Writing an app that will store passwords in some other way is a bad idea. It's
pretty much guaranteed to be less secure than the Keychain, which has some
kernel-level support for helping keep its storage secure. The Keychain also has
other advantages like syncing to iCloud and to iOS devices, in a fairly secure
way.

(Sorry if I sound heavy-handed; nothing personal. I've been coding with a
security-conscious mindset for quite a while now, and it sticks with you.
Security is becoming increasingly important, and all developers whose code ever
touches things like passwords should be following good practices.)

—Jens