I'd like to thank everyone for your input.
I learned a lot from this thread.

BTW, simply changing the offending dictionary syntax to using the old API
instead of the literals didn't help.
I really had to abandon the singleton idea for the C++ wrapper object.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I think Greg's post clarifies things:
"""
The initialization order is generally like this:
1. Everything in libraries you link to is initialized.
2. Your classes' +load methods run. Each class runs +load before its
subclasses. (Timing of category +load is more complicated, but in most
cases they also run now.)
3. Your C and C++ static constructors run.
4. main()
"""
The offending C++ wrapper and the ObjC implementation it wraps are both in
a static library that the test app links to.
According to the order above, the static constructor of the C++ wrapper
actually runs after the wrapped ObjC object's dictionary is created, seems
a problem to me.

Thanks,
Beinan