> On Jun 12, 2015, at 7:32 PM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Okay, so now there's Swift. Ugh. At first glance it looks like a throwback to
> Basic (let x =), so it make me shudder.

If it’s any help, I can assure you that “let” comes from LISP and has been used
in tons of newer functional languages like Haskell. (I don’t know if its use in
BASIC was inspired by LISP or if it was just synchronicity.)

> What problem/issue/deficiency is Swift intended to address? The mindset I use
> when programming in Obj C is “pure and simple object orientation”.

Except it’s not. The OO stuff in Objective-C comes straight out of
Smalltalk-80, which really is pure object-oriented: everything in Smalltalk is
an object (even integers, even stack frames, even nil itself) and all code is a
method. Even the “if” statement is a method on class Boolean. Objective-C on
the other hand is an awkward combination of Smalltalk objects on top of C. And
the C crap really gets in the way. That’s where Swift really helps.

—Jens