> On 13 Jun 2015, at 13:16, David Delmonte <ddelmo...@me.com> wrote:
>
> Lurker here.. 1. My first language was PLAN. (I don’t know if you can even
> find reference to it today - it was around circa 1966). I imagine that most
> people on this list have projects in progress as the languages evolve and
> change. Do you switch languages within a project? I am waiting on Swift until
> my current workload is complete.

Lots of senior^H^H^H^H^H^H experienced programmers here it seems :) I am myself
one week older than the country I live in. My first programming was done with
toggle switches, I could toggle with the best of them.

> Any ideas if/when Objective-C will be shut down? I am so slow these days that
> I’m working hard to finish work before that happens.

Not for a very, very, very, very long time. They haven’t managed to get rid of
Carbon yet! There’s way too much stuff written in ObjC and every statement I’ve
ever yet seen from anyone who actually knows is that Apple will continue
supporting ObjC and Swift for the foreseeable future.

What’s going to slowly happen is ObjC will gain only those new features which
are required for Swift interoperability, more example code will be in Swift,
libraries will show up which use Swift features which don’t translate back to
ObjC and over time Swift will become the easier language to develop in, there
will be a tipping point. And even then ObjC will still work for a goodly long
time.

> David
>
> ps. I find the discussions in this forum, as well as the Xcode and
> ObjC-language lists to be quite stimulating. Is there a Swift list in the
> works?

Very much doubt that. We’re somewhat fortunate the lists even still exist,
they’ve broken a few times and were scheduled for death more than once. I’m not
sure the old Sparcstation or whatever they run on would take another list,
probably maxed out at 255 or something. It is good Apple keeps the lists around
for those of us who prefer this format to a forum, I will sure miss them when
they pull the plug on them one day.