On 13 Jun 2015, at 15:33, Maxthon Chan <m...@maxchan.info> wrote:
> I don’t think Objective-C will ever be shut down since Swift also links to
> libobjc runtime library, which means Swift is, technically, a dialect of
> Objective-C with some syntactic sugar and compile-time checks allowing some
> more advanced programming techniques. Think this like the relationship
> between C#, Visual Basic .net, C++ CLI and F#, which all ends up being
> dialects of C#.

 You’re conflating things here. They’re not related to C#, they just use the
same “Common Language Runtime” (CLR) that was originally developed for C#.
Similarly, while Swift uses a few parts of the ObjC runtime, that does not mean
they won't stop offering ObjC on new hardware at some point (e.g. that mythical
ARM Mac) and only keep the parts that are needed for Swift (which could include
dropping the @objc keyword from Swift on those platforms).

> BTW, how will Apple support Swift on Linux? Open source Foundation and full
> version of CoreFoundation at the same time? How will the existing
> Objective-C-on-Linux projects like GNUstep handle that?

 You only get Swift and the Swift standard library on Linux, no Foundation or
CoreFoundation. That is transparently bridged in on Apple platforms, but
nowhere else.