> On Jun 17, 2015, at 12:30 PM, Ariel Feinerman <arielfap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why just do not use some clone of Smalltalk for Mac OS X before inventing
> new language?

Maybe because it wouldn’t achieve any of Apple’s stated goals, like high
performance and type-safety?

I used Smalltalk-80 extensively back in the ‘80s (while working at Xerox no
less) and it was a cool language for its time, but it’s a historical artifact
now. (Yes, I’m aware of Squeak. It’s kind of an SCA of programming languages.)
If Apple had wanted that sort of language they would have kept developing the
MacRuby they were putting some resources into a few years ago. (Yeah, not the
same language, but Ruby’s in the same general family and has a lot of ST-80
influence.)

Guys, talking about Swift vs. Obj-C/C/C++ has a slight amount of use, but if we
start dragging everyone’s pet language into the fray (Algol? Burroughs B5000
assembly?) then this just becomes another boring language flame-war. Don’t do
that.

—Jens