2-cent note from an uninformed lurker…

I busted my rear for couple of years learning and getting to think in Obj C,
and I love the object oriented feel it has, especially compared with the likes
of C++ and Java, where object orientation feels like a tacked-on afterthought.

Okay, so now there's Swift. Ugh. At first glance it looks like a throwback to
Basic (let x =), so it make me shudder. I suppose I'll hold my nose and learn
it, but the main question would be why? Is there some glaring irredeemable
deficiency in Obj C that will end its days? I don’t recall anyone clamoring for
a new language…

What problem/issue/deficiency is Swift intended to address? The mindset I use
when programming in Obj C is “pure and simple object orientation”. What mindset
am I to adopt in learning Swift?  I’m having a hard time getting a “feel” for
Swift's orientation. It seems so… syntaxy.

-Carl