It seemed to me that my decision on start learning Swift this year dodged a
bullet here. Still my Swift experience will not start until I built a Swift
compiler on Linux.

For me the embedded land is still C and C only. In 8-bit land Microchip XC8 for
PIC as well as SDCC for Intel 8051 are C only, and AVR-GCC’s C++ support is
rarely used by me (unless I am doing something with Arduino) and on 32-bit
since I generally don’t use Cortex-M, the ARM9, ARM11 and Cortex-A processors
that I use generally runs Linux and hence GNUstep, so those will use a mix of C
and Objective-C.

Call me a weirdo as my recent Web project is written in pure C, as an Apache
2.4 module.