Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Ok, I think we should have a look at a features list of fortress
>> and merlin compared to the ECM.
>>
>> Is this somewhere available?
>>
>> I learned by this thread that some marker interface are not
>> available anymore and have to be configured somewhere for fortress.
>> Is this right?
>> So which marker interfaces are concerned? C
>> How much effort is it to still support those marker interfaces without
>> needing the extra configuration?
>

> There is no way to do it in Merlin.  There are other things such as
> no real support for the ServiceSelector.

Both of these points can be dealt with using a lifestyle manager. The
current implemetation does not currently provide support for the
Selector interface - instead selection policy is provided to the
container and the client will receive the preferred selection based on
the supplied policy. A second reason is that the policy of appending the
string "Selector" to an interface as the means though which policy is
declared to a container is inconsitent with the concept of component
scoped role names.  Finally, logical concerning selection can be far
reaching - Merlin provides support for the dynamic creation of
components, different component profiles, programmatically constructured
component profiles, etc.  Simply requesting all know services of a
particular type under a component selector forces the instantiation of
all candidate profiles - whereas supplying the selection policy enables
the container to do the selection without actually instantiating the
component - in fact components are not normally instantiated until the
client actually invokes lookup on the component or service manager.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL