From: "Andreas Hochsteger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I just started to contribute some documentation to cocoon and saw some
> difficulties to get it going for a cocoon newbie.
> Diana had the nice idea that I could write up a howto for that task.
Therefore
> I need to ask the community some questions about the documentation
> contribution process.

:-)

> If you got the correct xml files done and updated the corresponding
book.xml
> you have to open a bug report in bugzilla.
>
> I used the following options which I not quite sure if they are alright:
> Product: Cocoon2
> Component: General components (shouldn't there be Documentation?)
> Platform: All
> OS: All
> Version: Current CVS
> Severity: Enhancement
>
> If a person works over and over again on the same docs, is it ok to reopen
an
> existing bug report and just provide a new attachment or do you have to
open
> a new bug report (and enter much redundant information again)?

Usually when a "bug", or in this case enhancement is "committed" (ie
accepted and inserted), the bug is closed.
If it weren't so we would have very long bug reports, and it would make it
difficult to manage.

If, instead, your second submission enhances the previous one, and the
previous one hasn't been "committed" yet, you should add (to the same bug
report) a patch that substitutes the previous one.

> I edited my docs with a standard text editor and viewed the results
directly
> through a local running cocoon. In the contribution docs I read that
cocoon
> cannot provide you with detailed information about documentation errors.
> Wouldn't it be nice to have such thing in cocoon, to make the author's
life
> much easier?

Could you please expand more on this? It seems like an intersting feature
one would need.

Since the document is XML, we encourage to use an editor that can validate
your document with the right DTD.

In this way you are sure that Cocoon will be able to compile it without
having to recreate all the docs.

A cool editor I use (free) is XML Cooktop 2000
http://www.xmleverywhere.com/cooktop/
(or at http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/53216.html)

Cheers!

            - verba volant, scripta manent -