Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>> but to be honest i dont know any better solution than gnumeric. and
>>> at least
>>> the solution is symetrical gnumeric->excel->gnumeric.
>>
>> Yup. And XSLT files for easy conversion to the Excel format.
>
> Okay thanks to all.  I'm convinced we made the right decision
> originally.  I wasn't sure at the start, everytime I'd describe this
> architecture I'd get "Why didn't you go with Excel XML format" -- but
> its nice to know that not only are people using the serializer at this
> point, but that they prefer the gnumeric format (as yucky as it is) for
> various reasons.  Good to know it was the right decision.

With XML any decision is good, since XSLT can do wonders.
The important thing is that the decision (ie DTD) was taken and that we
sticked to it.

> So Ken, while I don't want you to do it right now, because I think you
> have too many potatos in your donkey cart (picture Ken pulling a donkey
> cart with a bunch of potatos in it

and you have a very rough aproximation of my current load ;-)

>, what would it take to start moving
> this to Morpohos?  It seems the majority of people using this at the
> moment are using it outside of Cocoon.

Yup.

> I'll help (as soon as I move some potatos off my donkey cart) if I can,
> but I don't have enough Avalon/non-cocoon-xml-serializer experience to
> do this myself, nor do I have a clear picture of the plans for Morphos
> interface-wise.

The interfaces have basically been decided some days ago on Commons-dev

> I would suggest a seperate mailing list for this, perhaps on krysalis in
> addition to the commons mailing list, as there is no way in hell I'm
> subscribing to the commons mailing list ever again because the volume is
> soooooo great that it would triple my current email volume and probably
> bring my ISPs flaky email server down anyhow!
> Others probably feel similar.

Andy, the discussion has been going on already on that list, so I would
really like to continue there.
I promise that I will make the mails prepended with [Morphos], so you
can filter them.

>  From there we can plan an approach for the generator.

This was exactly the proposed plan.

> It would
> probably be faster too, my patches get applied too slow to work on it
> very efficiently here. (no offense)

Yup, it's time :-)

Who managed to make the serializer work out of Cocoon, can you please
send me the zip?
I can thus checkin preliminary stuff in CVS.

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -