begin quote from Nemo on Apr 18, 2002:

> Kindly remove the new "feature" that displays one's username in a /whois results.
> This is an open invitation to attacks and an invasion of privacy. I thought that
> security was supposed to be INCREASED not thrown wide open. Please think this one
> over again. No op I know is for this.
>
> Nemo288
>
> @#windows2000pro @#networking @#windowsxp @#windows98 @#millennium @#Puternutz

Showing the username in the /whois reply doesn't affect security in any
way. People were able to find one's username by issueing a "/msg X verify"
command anyway; this feature will hopefully reduce network traffic. See
the news section on www.undernet.org for more details regarding
recent/upcoming changes.

--
Alex Badea * Undernet Coder-Com contributer