> There are people on coder-com that can answer these questions, perhaps
> better than some server admins. It would be great for these people to speak
> up, and help the admins by sharing their expertise.

Undernet has for a very long time had problems with floodnets.  These
use up connections and waste vast amounts of bandwidth by flooding
channels and users.  To get around the limitations placed by I:'s, these
tend to attack from multiple IP's and connect as many times as they can
to each server, increasing the I:'s from 1 to 2 does tend to increase
the amount of drones they can load (actually it doubles it).  It also
invites users to load bots.  These are their reasons, not mine.  I
personally think that 2 or even 3 connections per host is a good idea.

Hopefully with X's floating limits, channel mode +r, and other future
enhancements will slow the effectiveness of floodnets, and thusly admins
will be less reluctant to raise their I: limits.

--
Chocolate chip.