Wouldn't a time stamped log directly to cservice allow cservice to take
action against people abusing hidden host?

I note that X tracks my real ip/host, and has a valid e-mail address for me.
 I also note that cservice tracks IP's well enough that single users
possessing multiple username's have to be very careful about who they
authenticate as/what IP they authenticate from when supporting new channel
registration.

It seems that all the tools are in place to have cservice do a quick review
of complaints/logs, and take action as they, the provider of the hidden
host, deem necessary.  They could remove the usernames of those abusing,
'blacklist' e-mail addresses of abusers/abusers domain's, etc.  I believe
all of this is already happening for user/channel registration.  Although
not ideal, it seems a small step to have cservice report to ISP's/admins if
the complaints indicate that would be the proper course of action.

As to getting opers involved in the process, I am not sure that would be
successful.  A good oper is always hard to find.  I think that the Undernet
has long had a reputation of having opers that are friendly and helpful.  I
believe that many of them would gladly take up this challenge on behalf of
the users and the welfare of the Undernet in general.  Unfortunately,
considering the number of opers available to help at any moment, the number
of potential abuses you want to investigate, and the average length of an
'incident', I'm not sure that it is realistic to place this load at the feet
of the opers in real time.

Based on those two factors, I would ask why couldn't cservice handle such
complaints on their own?

As to the original thread, I would say that I don't think that hosts should
be un-hidden for any regular users, under any circumstances.  Do not
punish/hinder the people who follow the rules because some choose to do
otherwise.

Abusers have always had bots & bnc's on compromised hosts at their disposal
to hide their own real IP's/ISP's.  They can chain through multiple accounts
making identifying them and banning them virtually impossible… hidden host
or not.  As many have already pointed out, having good channel ops who can't
be easily flooded off /nuked is the best way to stop/discourage many of
these abuses.  Making the real host information more accessible is a step
backwards, and a step in the wrong direction.

For those of you who think that the hidden host situation is any worse than
the bot/bnc situation was or is, I have to ask how often your reports to
abuse@ made a significant difference in curbing a flooders activity or
positively identifying the abuser?

As a channel op who has tried to ban users with scores of bot's/bnc's
running on dozens of hacked/unsecured hosts the situation has been dodgy at
best.  In the case of hidden host, at least the people we are reporting to
have an interest in maintaining a secure/stable Undernet.  There is a much
better chance that cservice will use all available information to help keep
abusers off Undernet.  When ISP's/admin of a compromised box receive such
complaints, their first thought is of protecting/securing their own
resources, not helping me/Undernet identify the actual perpetrators.

Sorry to be so long winded.

-stephen