> You also give the perfect rpotection to pples wanting to do any illegal
activities at all...

So your fix would involve exposing everyone just to catch a little minority
that is causing mayham ?

I'm growing tired of this "hey illegal stuff happens so we should just get
rid of any and all privacy laws/measures to catch them" way of thinking that
seems abundant around here.

I'm an op in several "larger" channels and we tend to fix our problems
ourselves. One of those chans is a "high profile" one and we get a lot of
floods there but always manage to control them. If you have experienced
chanops you should have little or no problems dealing with regular
chanfloods as you have the means to stop them. DDOS is smth entirely
different. You cannot stop ddos as a regular user. Contacing isp's is in
most cases useless since those boxes are hacked and even if the isp acts on
your request it'll take atleast a day before the box gets cleaned/stopped.

A while ago they put "floating limits" into X to help chanops counter large
botnets. This is an example of smth you should DO yourself rather than have
the services do it. Any user with some "knowhow" will quickly find a way to
counter floodnets.

My advice to you : get better chanops or learn to code a decent bot :)
Either of those isn't particularly hard to accomplish. I for one will NOT
give up my privacy because someone is too lazy/stupid/unable to come up with
a decent countermeasure him/herself.

/Gen