> This basically means you end up having to special case this (is there a
> colon? Then theres no part message. Is there no colon? Then theres a part
> message) which seems to be nothing but extra work.

Huh?  You're confused.  The RFC says that if there's a :, then all text
following the colon, even field separators (white space), is part of the
final argument.  In other words, : is a sentinel for the last argument
in a command.

> And theres exactly the same `issue' for clients rejoining during a split -
> I forget which way around it is but a normal client join and a netsplit
> join are different - one is : prefixed, the other is not.

*sigh* not too surprising--they're generated by different routines in
the source.  I hope to be able to consolidate these in the future.
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>