I never quite understood this - it USED to be the case that the message
looked like

PART #channel
or
PART #channel :Part message

Now its
PART :#channel
or
PART #channel :Part message

This basically means you end up having to special case this (is there a
colon? Then theres no part message. Is there no colon? Then theres a part
message) which seems to be nothing but extra work.

And theres exactly the same `issue' for clients rejoining during a split -
I forget which way around it is but a normal client join and a netsplit
join are different - one is : prefixed, the other is not.

GK