Hmm... Ok.

First -- thank you everyone who has replied.  Isomer/stoney`/Richard/Kev
-- and whoever else replies after this of course.

Some response to Kev inline.

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 20:28, Kev wrote:

> X is able to see through this mask, always, because of the way it's
> connected to the network.  However, we have to take special care with
> X to prevent it from revealing the user's true mask.

Agreed on the special care.  Hadn't realized X is able to see through
the mask -- but I did test Richard's recommendations and do see that it
works now.  Thank you.

> Unfortunately, you're quite right--this is a *huge* mess.  You not only
> have to do it on the original /mode, but also any subsequent net junction
> mode changes and any usage of /mode b.  There's simply no way to represent
> this information in the protocol, and there would be a *lot* of overhead,
> in terms of memory usage, to store that data.  I'm afraid we can't do
> this.

Ewwww....   Ok.

Perhaps my mind oversimplifies things a bit too much.  Since X always
sees through /mode +x it seems that X could set a ban on the masked host
but carry through with that ban when the individual is unmasked.  So
internally it adds a ban to the full usermask but doesn't display it in
any of the ban listings -- until the user returns without masking their
host.  Of course this all runs back to the same problems that make it so
when you ban a named address and the person comes back with their
numeric ip instead -- or visa versa.

Bah.

> If it's any consolation, if the user is logged in, even if they're not
> +x, bans on [EMAIL PROTECTED] work.  Of course, that can be
> circumvented by not logging in, but that's why we provided the +r channel
> mode, which prevents not-logged-in users from joining the channel unless
> they're /invite'd.  It's not an ideal solution in some situations,
> perhaps, but I'm afraid it's the best we can do at the moment...

Thanks..  hadn't realized you'd added +r.  Unfortunately most of our
users do not log in.

> Also note, by the way, that bans on the user's real host mask are also
> effective even when the user is +x.

I see that now.

Thanks,

Jay