On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Andrew Miller wrote:
> MODE #channel +ko something +something someop
> would desync clients - you can't change server-client protocol and not expect
> problems.

If the text were only sent to clients attempting to join the channel, this
is not a problem as the clients currently in the channel do not see the
text. The text returned to a client attempting to join a channel with such
a key message could be fairly trivially modified to support this by adding
a %s in the appropriate place. I expect the real problem would either be
memory usage (although I don't expect many channels would take advantage
of this feature, through a lack of education if nothing else).

GK