Emanuel wrote:
Adding a flag to the ban command "/msg X ban [-w] <#chan> <REGEXP |
banmask>"  and a new column in the ban table would make it possible
the use of regular expressions without restrictions, still.. wouldn't
solve the cpu time problem.

There are a few other issues too. We try and use approximately 1kB of memory per channel (give or take). That includes the banlist, topic and what have you. Now to give users a consistant feel to channels we limit the number of bans you can have in a channel (to whatever it is), based on the assumption of 1kB/average_length_of_a_ban.

Now at the moment a ban can't be longer than the string it's matching unless you start putting extraneous *'s into it. So if you were to add full regex's especially with | and [] into ircu the length of bans would be massively increased, and we'd either have to increase the amount of memory we allocate to a channel, or we'd have to start lowering the number of bans in a channel (and we all know how popular THAT would be).

To be honest I don't think that many people would want the full advantage of regex's, they are generally pretty confusing.