Speaking of bans, is MASS BAN still an issue? I dont know if it has
already been resolved. /msg X kick #channel [EMAIL PROTECTED] is only for 200+,
but how come level 75 users can use /msg x ban #channel [EMAIL PROTECTED] The
number of users should be checked.. Like if you are a level 400, you
could mass ban the channel. Any number lower should not exceed the 1/4
of the channel population.. Or maybe a certain number of users may be
kicked/banned per hour..

On 7/11/07, Perry Lorier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Emanuel wrote:
> Adding a flag to the ban command "/msg X ban [-w] <#chan> <REGEXP |
> banmask>"  and a new column in the ban table would make it possible
> the use of regular expressions without restrictions, still.. wouldn't
> solve the cpu time problem.

There are a few other issues too.  We try and use approximately 1kB of
memory per channel (give or take).  That includes the banlist, topic and
what have you.  Now to give users a consistant feel to channels we limit
the number of bans you can have in a channel (to whatever it is), based
on the assumption of 1kB/average_length_of_a_ban.

Now at the moment a ban can't be longer than the string it's matching
unless you start putting extraneous *'s into it.  So if you were to add
full regex's especially with | and [] into ircu the length of bans would
be massively increased, and we'd either have to increase the amount of
memory we allocate to a channel, or we'd have to start lowering the
number of bans in a channel (and we all know how popular THAT would be).

To be honest I don't think that many people would want the full
advantage of regex's, they are generally pretty confusing.

miguel