I'm pretty much on the same page as Kev with the solution: implement a
connection stack with configurable modules and then implement an encryption
module. As Kev said, it would actually be nice for us to have that ability
for other things. I also agree with his caveat, that we simply don't have
any active developers to work on it. If you could find someone to write it,
it could certainly be considered. With ircu, like all open source projects,
"Will you accept this patch?" and "Will you implement this feature?" are 2
very different questions.

That said, this only answers what you asked for, not what you actually
need. If you want to protect your data from eavesdropping by intelligence
services (IS) then the nature of how IRC works renders SSL ineffective. SSL
is transport layer encryption. The R in IRC stands for Relay, and every
time your message is relayed, you are exposed to anyone with access to that
device. I think it is safe to say from experience that an IS officer would
not have much difficulty socially engineering their way to access to an IRC
server.

What you actually need, as Kev also pointed out, it message level
encryption. The client encrypts the message contents and base64 encodes it,
then the receiving client decodes and decrypts it. This can (in fact must)
be implemented entirely in the client without a server change. Note that
this will only protect the content of your messages, not the metadata (what
the NSA got caught collecting.) There is no way to protect the data with
IRC. As Kev and Michael both pointed out, the server needs to know where to
send the message.  The only way around that is some sort of anonymizing
proxy, but I wouldn't trust that not to be compromised either.

Personally, I'd check if there are any clients that already do message
level encryption. I've not looked into it but I'd be a little surprised if
someone hadn't already implemented such a feature.

--
-Joe / Ghostwolf