SEPURI-SAI-KRISHNA commented on PR #12605:
URL: https://github.com/apache/seatunnel/pull/12605#issuecomment-5966020755

   Following up on my own comment, because I think I have found why this keeps 
happening to you.
   
   The cut is at exactly 2500 characters, every time. I checked the three you 
flagged against the posted bodies: "because the Maven wra" ends at character 
2500, "cannot tell whether the password is exa" ends at 2500, and "so the order 
does not" ends at 2499. Something between GitHub and you is truncating at a 
2500-character boundary, so it is not a posting problem on my side, and 
re-posting the same long comment will not help.
   
   Eleven of my comments across these PRs are over that limit, so you have 
likely been missing tails without knowing it. I will keep them short from now 
on. My previous comment was 3433 characters, so you lost the last 934. Here 
they are.
   
   **End of the PR12605-F4 answer.** There is one paragraph of design rationale 
left in the Javadoc, explaining why each numeric family is checked before 
narrowing rather than after a single `longValue()` widening. That is not 
before/after narration, it is the reason the method is shaped that way, and it 
is the thing most likely to be tidied away by someone who has not read this 
thread. I would rather keep it, but I will cut it if you think it still reads 
as history.
   
   **The question you have not seen, asked twice now.** `BIGINT` has the 
identical defect this PR fixes for `INT`. Measured on `dev`:
   
   | `CAST(... AS BIGINT)` | result |
   | --- | --- |
   | `BigDecimal` 2^64+5 | `5` |
   | `BigDecimal` 2^64 | `0` |
   | `Double` `NaN` | `0` |
   | `Double` `1e30` | `9223372036854775807` |
   
   Same silent wraparound, same helper shape would fix it. I left it out 
because the agreed scope on #12571 was `TINYINT`, `SMALLINT` and `INT`.
   
   Do you want it folded into this PR, or a separate PR against a separate 
issue? My preference is separate, and if that is your answer I will file the 
issue straight away and link it from the incompatible-changes entry so the gap 
does not read as an oversight.
   


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to