On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> Has anything changed regarding the github integration since the last time
> we discussed this?

There is a lot more experience with it now and opinions change over time.
Clearly, there is overwhelming support for this idea now.

> There are also questions about PRs leading to messy commit history with the
> extra merge commits. Spark IIRC has something to linearize it again, which
> seems important if we actually want to do this.

In the vast majority of cases, the pull requests should be squashed to a
single commit. The Github integration doesn't change how patches are
committed or pushed into the repository. It is about using the code review
tools that Github provides.

Note that we already have Github pull requests for Hadoop. We just don't
have any way to manage them and they aren't mirrored to the Apache lists &
jiras. Many people find the Github code review tools useful and Apache has
the tools to integrate them into our mailing lists and jira.

.. Owen