On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Has anything changed regarding the github integration since the last time
> > we discussed this?
>

> There is a lot more experience with it now and opinions change over time.
> Clearly, there is overwhelming support for this idea now.
>

> > There are also questions about PRs leading to messy commit history with
> the
> > extra merge commits. Spark IIRC has something to linearize it again,
> which
> > seems important if we actually want to do this.
> >

> In the vast majority of cases, the pull requests should be squashed to a
> single commit. The Github integration doesn't change how patches are
> committed or pushed into the repository. It is about using the code review
> tools that Github provides.
>
> Okay, it wasn't clear to me that this proposal was only to use Github as a
review tool, not for patch integration.

If that's the case, we should also look at review alternatives like RB and
Crucible. RB also has cmdline tools for easily updating a patch.

> Note that we already have Github pull requests for Hadoop. We just don't
> have any way to manage them and they aren't mirrored to the Apache lists &
> jiras. Many people find the Github code review tools useful and Apache has
> the tools to integrate them into our mailing lists and jira.

If the issue is PRs that no one looks at, one option is to disable PRs and
tell these contributors to file a JIRA instead.