>A Cache should not be responsible for storing, should it? Then it isn't
>a cache, but a DB...

I recommend to use some Storage interface for cache. You will be very glad
then you will decide at later time to store your applications state to
stable Storage, add transactions .... .

>And even if you're going to do this, make a clean separation between the
>cache and the persistency layer (do not assume it is a database. It can
>be a filesystem, or a WebDAV system, or a Jisp system, ...)

I thing about cache as special kind of "persistency layer".

>I'm not even sure what you're going to do with this stored procedure...
It can be any kind interface for finders (EJB QL, JDO QL,SQL,OQL, My QL ,
Some API,....).
  procedures are more useful for updates .

procName.1={call some_proc(?)}
procName.2=SELECT something  .... WHERE ID=?
procName.3=MyClass.someStaticMethod(1)
procName.4=protocol://www.something.com?id={0}
1=ProcDescriptorClass1
2=ProcDescriptorClass2
procName.descriptor=x

  DB.call("procName", new Object{new Integer(0)});
May  be it is not the best idea, but it works good for me.

>Just giving my opinion, as I'm looking for a decent cache for some time
>now and I'm considering using simplestore.
I can recomend a very special kind of cache "OS Cashe":
http://www.opensymphony.com
If you use JSP in youe application.