>Jep, and I do the same in my app, but a layer lower (_not_ in the cache,
>but in the DB layer, which is the persistency layer I described above).

It may interesting for you if you do the same in your app.

I use cashe this way:

//implementation of StorageCacheHelper not the last implementation,
synchronized in the last Layer.
// Synchronization Layer implements the same interface.

  Object call(String name, Object args [] ){

  ResultWrapper wrp= null; // need wrapper for result if result is null

  //Cashe implementation wraps java.util.Map interfce, real cashe
implementation
// depends on Map  implementation, and can be reused in any kind of cache ,
it can be HashMap,WeakMap, //SomeMRUMap.

     wrp =  map.get(name, args );
     if(wrp != null) return wrp.result;

   Object result =  myRealStorageLayerImplementsTheSameInterfaceAs_this
(name, args );
   wrp = new ResultWrapper(result);

   if(procDescriptor(name).flushCache()) {
       procDescriptor(name).flush();
  }

  if(procDescriptor(name).useCashe()){
   map.put( KeyPair(name,args), wrp );
}

    return  wrp.result;

   }

}

it is not fragment from real implementation, my real implementation is more
complex and SQL dependant.
But I have plans to fix it.