On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Christoph Reck wrote:
> In sorting "reverse" is a common terminology, the comparator is used to
> sort. Ascending/Descending would be another term but is to much "point
> of view" dependant.
>
> Just my EUR0.02...

I agree that reverse is common terminology when sorting, but I disagree
that sorting is intrinsicly what a comparator does. While sorting is
probably the most common use-case for comparators, the comparator itself
does not do any sorting.  It compares objects and returns a negative, zero
value, or positive result.  It doesn't rearrange, reverse, order, or
"sort".  It just compares two objects. This particular comparator
"inverses" the result of the compare to be a positive, zero value, or
negative result (respectively).  I use "inverse" here in its mathematical
sense of inverting the result, since that's all this comparator is doing.

I'm not going to argue this anymore though.  I've changed my position --
why is this class even included in commons when the JDK provides a
reverse/inverse comparator already?  @see Collections.reverseOrder()

regards,
michael