On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Morgan Delagrange wrote:
> If you like.  Either we add setComparator/getComparator, or we remove the
> undesirable no-op constructor.  If it were me, I'd just do the later, but
> I'm not in the "make every class a bean" camp.

I disagree.  a no-arg constructor and dynamic instantiation of the
comparator may be useful without a get/setComparator mechanism.  For
example, consider an application that allows you to specify a comparator
in a configuration file while it will use for a particular application
specific task.  The config fail may just ask for the comparator class
name, and the app can instantiate an instance of the comparator to use.

get/setComparator methods are really only useful for altering the
underlying comparator once the reverse/inverse comparator has been
constructed.  I think this is bad because the underlying comparator is
part of the functionality, and providing modification of it thus changes
the functionality of the reverse/inverse comparator.  That doesn't seem
like an appropriate attribute modification.

Since there's been a bit of discussion on the issue, and I haven't really
heard any objections to my diff (fixing the comparator with respect to the
comparator contract), I'm going to check that in. I'm also going to check
in the argument swap rather than multiplication.  We can continue
discussion on the rename and whether or not to have a no-arg constructor.

regards,
michael