On 4/3/02 3:15 PM, "Morgan Delagrange" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 4/3/02 2:45 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> o.a.c.l was actually a logging
>> could write to in order to
>> preferences...
>>>
>>> It's a logging API, with interfaces you can use to
>> isolated from the
>>> logger implementation.
>>>

>> However, it seems that the Log.getLogger(foo)
>> pattern is what people have to
>> use, or are expected to use?
>>

> Is that not also the case with Log4J and JDK 1.4?

Literally, yes - however, I am more than happy to write things where only
the  app/container/framework/servlet interacts with the logger, and then has
a generic wrapping interface that it passes to subsystems/components such
that the pieces that can log don't know about the implementation to which
they are logging.

That's what I think you want o.a.c.l to be...

We have the same notion in Velocity - we define the interface that you can
use, and do an impl around log4j and logkit.  (as well as a bitbucket and
stderr impls as well).

But you as the app writer can also implement that interface on whatever
logger you are using, such as something you already have in your application
servers,  and pass that to velocity to use....

> Only the Avalon logger has a notion of IoC AFAIK.  It
> seems odd to be supporting IoC logging in
> commons-logging, when we know that all of our other
> components will not be able to utilize it.

Then commons logging should not have public interfaces.  It should only be
available to anything living in the o.a.c package, because you appear to be
forcing a usage pattern upon anyone that implements the interface...

If you want to put draw a line in the sand for people to use as *the*
generic logging interface for *general* use, it shouldn't prohibit IoC.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting